Tuesday, November 1, 2011


Between swimming, injuries, diaversaries and life in general, there are so many things to write about.  

I had my appointment with Dr. Prince, sports injury doctor extraordinaire, last Friday and figured an update was overdue. 

My appointment was scheduled at 8:40am.  I got there at 8:20 and was out by 8:30am.  He checked out my ankle and my shins and said there is a pretty good chance that I have a stress fracture.  The bone on the inside of my calf (where the problem is) is the weight bearing bone so he said that stress fractures on that bone can be harder to heal.  He mentioned the possibility of an air cast...yuck. 

But first, a diagnosis is needed.  

He sent me for an x-ray and made a referral for a bone scan.  The x-ray I could do anytime and the bone scan may take a week or two to schedule. 

The x-ray may not find anything but, if it does, it beats waiting for a bone scan.  

Since I was ahead of schedule, I headed to the x-ray clinic and was there at 8:55.  It opened at nine and I was first in line.  So, by 9:15am, I had been seen by a doctor, had my x-ray and was at work.  

How wonderful was that? 

Oh wait, it gets better. 

At around 1pm on Friday my cell phone rings.  It's the nuclear medicine department at the hospital calling.  Can I come in on Monday for my bone scan? 


So yesterday I went to the hospital at 9:30am.  They injected a radioactive something or other into my arm and then took several images of my lower legs.  I asked and was told they were checking out the soft tissue and circulation in my legs. 


Then I had to go back at 2pm, once the radioactive material had time to circulate through my body and go into my bones.  They had me lie down on my back and my side and their machine took three images, each one taking 15-20 minutes to complete.  I was left alone during these so I actually had three mini naps - it was quite peaceful. 

Let's recap.  I called Dr. Prince last Wednesday and got in on Friday morning.  By 9:15 Friday I had been seen and x-rayed.  By 1pm I had a bone scan appointment and by Monday at 3:30pm I was done.  By the end of the week I should know the results.  Not sure what everyone else's experience is like with this sort of thing but I'm pretty damn impressed with the efficiency. 

On a fun note, I am now officially radioactive and have been given a letter to take with me if I'm traveling over the border in the next three days.  Apparently I will set off all sorts of alarms.  I've tried lighting up dark rooms and starting my car without the key but no luck.  Apparently those things only happen in the movies. 

Monday morning, in honour of my impending radioactivity, I came home from my early morning swim to find my nuclear-themed breakfast waiting for me. 

Gotta love a man with a sense of humour.  And the ability to make my breakfast shake just the way I like it


  1. It's nice to see that sometimes the health system works :)
    I am secretly hoping your recovery does not include an air boot.
    and OMG, love the nuclear breakfast!

  2. Yes, let's hope you don't need an air boot.
    Someday, I will have to tell you about the experience I had at the border a few hours after having my bone scan.
    They weren't kidding when they said that the U.S. border officials would take it/me VERY seriously.
    They WEREN'T impressed!
    And btw, yhat breakfast looks fabulous! God, that man is so creative!

  3. Wow! That is super fast! I had to wait forever to get in for my bone scan. So happy you got in so quick... it's pretty conclusive, more so than an xray. Did you take your pump off? Months after I got mine, I read in my pump handbook not to go into MRIs with it on. Oops :)