Wednesday, October 30, 2013

No Rest for the Wicked

So far so good. I've had two days of rest since Sunday's race and my blood sugars have yet to go through the roof.

When I say two days off I mean two days without exercise. Not even going for a walk.

I am doing this to let my legs recover from their tough run and to let my body rest a bit by sleeping in.

Two days in a row of waking up at 6:30am instead of 5:00am was pretty sweet. Especially when the blood sugars are behaving themselves.

I'm still off running for a few more days at least. The earliest I will do anything will be Saturday and that would be an easy 30 minute trot...if anything at all. There are no races looming so I'm taking my time to make sure everything has had the downtime it needs.

I am, however, going to venture back into the pool. In fact, at the time this post goes up, I'll be pulling myself up out of the pool after my regular Wednesday morning workout.

As of Tuesday night my quads were still pretty tight and sore. The stairs are easier now but I still feel it - especially on the way down.

I asked Doug last night if a week off meant a week off from everything or just from running. "I'm not a sports doctor" he said. "I know, but I want to know what Doug would do. Would he sleep in two more days and go swim on Friday? Or would he get up early on Wednesday and head to the pool?"

Get up early on Wednesday and head to the pool was the response.

The lazy part of me wanted him to say sleep in just so I could without any feelings of guilt.

His rationale was that, when he's tight and sore after a hard run, he often feels better once he starts moving again. Swimming won't put any pressure on my joints, no pounding on my feet, no stress on my quads.

It will, however, get the blood flowing and get my body loosened up a bit.

So I'm off to the pool. Sore quads and all.

In other news, here is my latest training update:

Rocking the compression pants and sexy sandals look. 
Walked around for an hour and even ventured up and down the stairs. 
There is hope yet for Saturday night!

No comments:

Post a Comment