Thursday, August 22, 2013

Stubborn. Plain and Simple.

I've been happy to see the temperatures climb back up after the cooler weather we had been having. I was worried that the water temperature in Lake Ontario would drop and the triathlon we're doing this Sunday would be wetsuit mandatory.

"What?!? You don't have a wetsuit?"

Nope.

"Why not? You do triathlons. It makes the swim easier and you'll be faster. Plus it keeps you warm in cold water."

All very good points I must admit.

Ask me why I don't have a wetsuit.

Go on. Ask me.

Because I'm stubborn. Ridiculously stubborn.

I want to swim in open water without a wetsuit. I want to compete with people in wetsuits and hold my own without one. I want to feel free in the water. I don't want the complication of one more thing to do in transition. I think they look ridiculous and uncomfortable. I don't want to pay for one. I'll never want to wear it unless I have to due to water temperature which means that I'll never get used to it and always hate it.

Of course I'm saying all of these things without ever having tried one on.

Pretty open minded eh?

Last night we went to the driving range. It was hot and humid out and my hands were warm and sticky. I hit a bucket of balls. Not particularly well but whatever.

I don't wear a glove when I golf. I don't want the aggravation of putting it on and taking it off. I think it seems kinda silly that golfers wear one glove when they hit the ball off the tee and then they stuff it in their back pocket until the next tee shot. I don't want to have to try on a bunch at the store and then buy one.

Did I mention that I've never actually tried playing a game of golf with a glove?

Why?

I want to be able to hit the ball and play a game of golf without a glove. Just like I want to be able to swim without a wetsuit.

Why?

I'm stubborn.

Sometimes being stubborn involves not making a whole lot of sense.

It's probably a good time to mention that I'm typing this with a very painful blister on my finger from hitting 90 balls with warm hands on a humid night.

Sigh.

Thankfully the lake temperature is holding steady and I'll be able to compete on Sunday in the triathlon.

On the other hand, there is an Olympic triathlon in September that I'd love to do but it will most likely be wetsuit mandatory. Which means I'm outta luck.

At least for this year.

I don't honestly know if I'll ever cave on the wetsuit issue. I may. I may not.

Right now I don't want to.

But I also didn't want to play golf and now look at me.

2 comments:

  1. Well, at least you know that being anti-wetsuit is a more-or-less ridiculous position to hold. :-)

    I ended up having a lot to say on the matter, so I put the response on my own site.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't comment on the wet suit issue but I will say, if you are hitting a lot of golf balls, having a glove DEFINITELy helps! :)

    ReplyDelete