Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Raising the Salad Bar

It's getting darker in the mornings. And in the evenings.

I know, I'm sorry, I should stop mentioning such horrible things because it makes people sad.

But it's important for my story.

See, when it's bright and sunny out from 5am to 9pm, I am happy eating pretty much whatever is quick, tasty and easy to make. Like grilled meat with grilled veggies on the barbecue. Or grilled fish with grilled veggies on the barbecue. Corn on the cob on the side. You know, summer stuff.

Then it starts getting darker in the mornings, and darker in the evenings and I start wanting to cook again. I mean chopping veggies, turning on the oven, using three pots kinda cooking.

On Monday night, I was in charge of dinner. I picked up some salmon (you know, to grill on the barbecue) as well as a pack of baby spinach, mushrooms, a zucchini, red pepper and a red onion. I wanted to experiment and make a healthy, hearty, warm fall-worthy salad.

I also wanted to experiment because we are going to be at a cottage in just over a week and are in charge of making dinner one evening for six adults. Six adults with a variety of tastes and dietary lifestyles. And I figured a hearty, healthy salad would not go amiss.

I did not take pictures because I was too busy cooking. So I'll try to paint a word picture for you.

I prepared some quinoa (1 cup of red quinoa cooked in two cups of broth - cook on low for 18ish minutes until broth is absorbed).

I put a tray of veggies (red onion, red pepper, zucchini and mushrooms) in the oven to roast (no oil, salt or pepper).

In the meantime, I rinsed a can of chickpeas and tossed it into a bowl.

Once roasted, I chopped up the veggies and tossed them on top of the chickpeas. Followed by the now cooked and still hot quinoa.

I prepared a dressing (equal parts pesto, olive oil and white balsamic vinegar) and poured that on top.

Stir until bright, colourful and well mixed.

Lay baby spinach on the plate. Top with warm salad. Put some feta cheese on top.

Add a piece of grilled salmon on the side.

Smile like the proud chef you are.

Enjoy.

Looks like we found our cottage salad recipe.

(And just imagine how sinfully good it would be with avocado on top. Or goat cheese. Or lemon juice and olive oil. Oh the possibilities!)

1 comment:

  1. Ok I am totally salivating at my desk now. Sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete