Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Mixed Blessing

On Saturday night, I went to bed around 9:30pm.  Before you start making fun of me, this is not a post about how uncool I am.

I fell asleep by about 10pm and woke up at 7am with my alarm.  I didn't toss and turn and I didn't wake up once.

That rarely happens.  I usually wake up two or three times a night, every night.  I stumble to the washroom at least once and I check my sugar once I've stumbled back to bed.

On those rare occasions when I sleep straight through the night I wake up with two thoughts in my head:
  1. yay, I caught up on a bit of sleep, and 
  2. oh shit - my blood sugar must be through the roof.
I only ever sleep straight through when my sugar is high.  I checked and, yup, it was 15.0.

Nights like that are such a mixed blessing.  I really do feel rested in the morning and, surprisingly, I don't feel crappy from having been high for hours and from being really dehydrated.  In fact, I feel so much more rested that I kinda, secretly, wish I could have more of those nights.  And yet, as we all know, hanging out with numbers that high for hours on end is NOT a good thing and not something we should make a habit of.

It's a tricky little window.  Normal blood sugar means I sleep lightly and wake up easily during the night.  Higher (12-15) means a wonderfully sound sleep.  Really high (16+) means an unsettled night of crazy nightmares that last until I can wrench myself from sleep and pump myself full of insulin.  

I'm grateful those nightmares don't happy too often but ohhhhh, it's soooo nice to sleep through the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment