Thursday, May 7, 2015

The Mind is a Funny Thing

Every once in a while I am at a loss of what to blog about. It doesn't happen very often since my life seems to be chock full of diabetes (mis)adventures as well as plenty of running, cycling, swimming or golfing stories to share. Some days though, I don't feel inspired and I stare at my white screen for a few minutes.

Then I will look up at Doug sitting on the other couch and say "what should I write about?".

He usually comes up with something and then I'm off to the races.

Last night I asked "what should I write about?".

Without a moment of hesitation, he said "you could write about hitting three balls into the water that wasn't even there". "You could call it 'the mind is a funny thing'."

So let me tell you a story about a golfing lass who was out golfing with her handsome golfing lad.

When they got to the 7th tee, she watched her lad hit his ball over the water and on to the green. Lovely!

The ladies' tees are closer to the hole and, based on where they are located, the ladies don't need to hit over the water. In fact, the only way for the ladies to go into the water is to hit right. And I mean really really right. Like 90 degrees right. So the golfing lass never even thinks about the water other than to notice how pretty it is and check to see if her friend the blue heron is hanging around.

The golfing lass loves this hole because a) it's a par 3 and par 3 holes always hold the possibility of a hole in one and b) it's not very far and has a nice big green to land on.

As she walked to her tees, the golfing lad said "swing easy baby. Don't go into the water".

"I didn't even think that was possible" she laughed and proceeded to set up her shot.

She hit her first ball into the water.

She burst out laughing and said "that's crazy. I have never done that before". "I'm hitting another ball!".

She hit the second ball into the water.

"Bloody hell" she said, knowing full well that was not proper golf course language.

"I'm doing that again. This is ridiculous."

The third ball flew towards the green, bounced off a boulder and went into the water.

Three balls lost in a water hazard that wasn't even a water hazard until the golfing lad said it was a water hazard.

The mind is a funny thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment