Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Back to Life...Back to Reality

Friends for Life 2014 is over. I just have to get over it and move on. Good things must come to an end and all that jazz.

I have to go back to my regular life where people wear watches on their wrists rather than green bracelets.

Back to reality where I work for a living. Where I have to figure out carb counts because no one else will do it for me. Where no one leaves bowls of emergency carbs in each room just in case I need them.

*sigh*

Yesterday I got up early and went for a run before work. It was hot. My body felt stiff and sluggish. I set off with a goal of doing 7k. By the end of the first kilometre I was struggling so much that I had dropped that to 6k. By the end of the second kilometre I had dropped it to 5k. By the third, I was back up to 7k. Not because I felt any better. Not because my pace picked up. Because I wanted to do intervals on Thursday morning and I knew my body and my mind would do better if I pushed through  on Tuesday and did the distance. I ran 7k as originally planned and the last two actually felt like they should have.

This morning, I will have gone swimming by the time this post is up. The second swim in 5 weeks. The first one in July. It will be tough. I will be slow and sluggish. I will be tired and probably be ready for bed by lunch. But I want to go swimming on Friday and the only way that will go well is if I push through on Wednesday and remind my body what it means to be a swimmer. By next week I'll be good to go and within a few weeks I will (hopefully) have regained a semblance of the speed I used to have.

I'm back to having my regular breakfast shake and my body feels better for it. Fibre is important. Just saying'

I'm back to making my own lunches and eating serving sizes and foods that my body and my insulin routine are used to.

I'm back to eating dinner early enough to see what my blood sugar is going to do before I go to bed.

I'm back to one coffee every morning. And perhaps a cup of tea in the afternoon.

Routines are comforting and easy enough to slip into.

But it doesn't mean I don't miss the craziness of sharing breakfast with 2000 other people. Or dinners that start at 6:30pm and end at 9pm. Or having desserts with both my lunches and my dinners. Because with those things came the people I shared them with. The Animas crew I got to hang out with. The strangers I met. The kids who made me laugh with their quirky charm.

I'm back to reality but a little part of my apparently stayed in Florida and has no intention of coming home.

1 comment:

  1. This post is great, reality's a bitch, I'm uber impressed with your workout and now I'm singing "Soul II Soul" out loud and I'm once again reminded how awesome they are - So thanks for that!

    ReplyDelete