Thursday, July 25, 2013

Reaching Out

Yesterday was a very interesting diabetes day.

I started writing my blog pretty innocently back in January 2011. I had no secret ambitions. No plans for world domination. I just wanted to reach out a little bit and see if anyone reached back.

They did and I have made some pretty amazing friends and learned a lot of diabetes tips and tricks. I also like to think that I may have helped a few people along the way...and perhaps helped dispel a few diabetes myths.

Yesterday, I was asked to write an article for a newsletter that is distributed pretty widely in my field. It's a newsletter aimed at direct support workers who support people who have a developmental disability.

I was asked to write an article about supporting people who have diabetes.

I am honoured and excited by this challenge and can't wait to flex my writing muscles.

I was still grinning from that new when I arrived home after work to discover a FedEx envelope waiting for me.

From Animas.

With a thank you card and a CD of pictures from the photoshoot we did a few weeks back.

Later this year I will be featured in their Animas newsletter.

Neither of these honours would have happened without diabetes and neither would have happened if I hadn't decided to be open, honest and very public about living life with type 1.

I'm so glad I reached out.

I'm even more glad that people reached back.

Here is a small sample of the photos Animas sent me. It's pretty odd being in front of the camera instead of behind it but I'm happy with the results. 









5 comments:

  1. These are great! You're kind of a big deal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so looking forward to your article, I think it will help so many!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those photos are awesome! Thank you for reaching out - I know you have helped me a lot :) very excited to read the articles!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pictures are so awesome and so pro!
    and well if it weren't for this here blog and the Around the Bay road race, I would have never met you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Super cool! Those pictures are awesome!

    I'm so glad you took a chance on us. The community is bounds and bounds richer because of your voice in the choir. :-)

    ReplyDelete