Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Hot Stuff

There's just no way around it.

I am one hot chick.

Bedroom window open all winter, comforter tossed to the side, running in -20 without gloves kinda hot.

My internal microwave oven makes me ideally suited to running in Canadian winters.  I love it.  Better yet, I have it all figured out. I know what to wear with every five degree change in temperature and in every sort of wind chill, snow, and icy condition.  I know my layers and we work well together. 

The problems start when the temperate gets to be above zero. 

At plus five, I'm in shorts.  At plus ten, I'm in shorts, a t-shirt and a vest and, by plus fifteen, I'm in shorts and a t-shirt.  Period. 

Things would not be a problem if Canadian summers peaked at plus fifteen.  But they don't.  They have been known to hit plus thirty-five with some nasty-ass humidity thrown in for fun.  This does not stop us from running hours every Saturday morning or doing hill repeats or interval training.  The heat-loving people in my life may disagree but I find it absolutely brutal.

I am not one to run around in my sports bra (between my insulin pump and surgery scars - a bare midriff would take me a wee bit too far out of my comfort zone).  So I'm stuck running in shorts and a t-shirt.  No matter how hot it gets, there are just no more layers to remove. 

I'm excited for spring.  I'm excited to see the buds on the trees and feel the sun on my skin.  But I'm also well aware that the days of running in comfort are rapidly coming to an end...at least until October when things start to cool off again.  So for the next six months I am going to be one hot steamy lady... 

...and not in a good way!

1 comment:

  1. Brr! I could use a little heat! I am definitely the kind who has a chill in her blood and have been known to turn the heated seats on in the car on the way to work ..even on warm summer mornings .. couldn't you and I just split the difference?! lol!

    ReplyDelete