Sunday, February 13, 2011

Never Too Young

Apparently I'm too young to nap.  I guess, depending on your perspective, I'm also too old to nap.

I'm getting a little ahead of myself.  Let me back up a bit.  Here's the story: our curling team got together today for a practice session.  Afterwards we shared brunch before heading off in our separate directions.  As we enjoyed our post curling snack, a lovely couple stopped by our table on their way out (they had also come in for a Sunday morning curling practice).  During the conversation they made a joke about napping and said that they may be old but they're not that old...yet.

Little did they know that I was already dreaming about my own Sunday afternoon nap.  Confession time: I'm an under forty napper.  Not a nap on the couch during a tv show kinda napper.  Not a fifteen minute power napper. I'm a undress, climb under the blankets and wake up two hours later kinda napper.  

I love naps.  I love falling asleep in a sunlit room.  I love waking up feeling rested.  I love the laziness of it all.

I don't nap every day or even every week.  My body tells me when I need a nap and I am only too happy to oblige.  Today, I knew I was going for a nap as soon as my alarm went off at 6:30am.  So, after curling, I burrowed under the covers and emerged 2 1/2 hours later (insert purring noise here).  I definitely needed that.

I woke up to the sound of chopping in the kitchen and the smell of freshly cut vegetables wafting up the stairs.  Dinner preparations were underway and chef Doug was in charge tonight.  Chicken with red pepper sauce over pasta.  So delicious!


Ever helpful in the kitchen, my job was to sit at the counter, sip my red wine and ask questions about golf as today's Pebble Beach ProAm played in the background.  I'm not a golfer but I do like learning about it.  Especially from someone with the patience to answer my endless questions.

Today was a great day.  A lovely balance of fitness and laziness, friendship and love.

Slainte!

No comments:

Post a Comment