Monday, February 21, 2011

Journée de la famille

It's after noon and I'm still in my comfy clothes and nursing my second cup of coffee.  I'm watching the beautiful yellow and orange tulips that Doug brought home.  Every time I look up, they're more in bloom.  I may have to grab my camera to capture spring right here in my living room.

The snow has stopped, for now, and our little world is blanketed white again.

It's peaceful here.

I like peaceful. It gives me time to think.  Today, not surprisingly, I'm thinking about family.

My own family, my new family, my friends and their families, even fictional families from books that I have read and loved.

Some families just gel while others...not so much.  Being part of a family takes a lot of love and a lot of patience.  We don't typically get to choose our families the way we choose our friends.  And just because we share DNA doesn't mean that we were meant to be bosom buddies.

I am fully aware of how lucky I am.  I come from a family where unconditional love is the foundation upon which we've built amazing, strong, committed relationships.  It's safe there.  No matter what  announcement we have to make, road we've chosen or challenge we must face - my family will support, cheer or carry us through.  And through it all, we have a great ol' time and just enjoy each others' company.


My parents, still in love after 35 years. Still laughing, holding hands and inspiring all of us to be the best we can be.

My middle sister has moved across the world to be with the man she loves.  She inspires me to follow my heart while never losing sight of who I am.

My little sister is all grown up, strong, talented and fiercely independent.  She inspires me to take care of myself and try things that scare me.

Individually, we are strong. Together, we are fabulous!

Happy Family Day folks.

No comments:

Post a Comment