Wednesday, February 23, 2011

How to Hold a Fork

Everyone has their little quirks.  Mine include, but are certainly not limited to:
- not having much depth perception so I go up and down stairs very deliberately for fear of falling,
- not being able to manipulate three dimensional shapes in my head (you know: look at the patterns and figure out which one would fold up into a box),
- getting hiccups when I eat raw carrots or crusty bread, and 
- completely freezing when someone says something is 'easy'.

"Oh c'mon, you can do it, it's easy" is pretty much a guarantee that I will lose whatever ability I have to complete the required task. Someone once asked me how I hold a fork.  I immediately forgot how to hold a fork. No kidding. They laughed and said it was a very easy question.  I spent the next two days second guessing myself every time I picked up a fork.

There is just something about that word that makes it anything but.

So, this is our Easy Week for running. 

That means run a nice, 'easy' 40 minute run on Tuesday and Thursday and a nice, 'easy' 10k on Saturday.  After the last few week of running craziness that should be a breeze non? 

I headed out last night for my first easy run of the week.  I was so pumped for it to be 'easy' that I thought I might just cheat and run 10k for fun. 

Who the hell was I kidding? 

My feet seemed to forget what to do, I got a blister on my ankle from the zipper on my pant legs (seriously?!?), my legs couldn't decided if they were just tight or developing shin splints and my energy level was the pits. 

My easy, effortless, bound down the street like a gazelle run turned into something akin to running through molasses with random bits of stuff thrown in to cause blisters where I've never developed blisters before. I came home exhausted, had dinner, burrowed under a blanket on the couch and was in bed asleep by 9:30pm.

Only two more easy runs before the hards ones start up again.  Thank goodness!!

1 comment:

  1. I hope the rest of your week goes better. I think it's awesome that you are at a point where a 10K is easy. I'm not there yet.

    The fork thing would probably happen to me. Something that usually requires no thought becomes foreign when we're asked to think about it.

    ReplyDelete