Tuesday, November 5, 2013

The Beats That Inspire My Feet

By the time this post is posted, I'll have finished my first post-half marathon return to running run.

An easy thirty minute trot to test out my legs...and my new sissy-coloured running shoes.

I'll have my music playing quietly enough to still hear the birds waking up and the train whistles blowing in the distance. Loud enough to work its way down to my feet and inspire them to move a little faster for a little longer.

Music is the background to my runs. I can easily go with out it but I do enjoy the soundtrack that carries me down my beloved country roads. My songs are so familiar that a few notes heard on the radio are enough to make me want to put on my shoes and run. There's probably something Pavlovian about it but I just really like tying music to my journeys because the songs enrich the journey and later help bring me back.

Two weeks ago I wrote about updating my running playlist for the Niagara half with songs that get me moving and keep me motivated. Playlists are a pretty personal thing - kinda like favourite shampoos or eye creams - and what inspires me might nauseate someone else.

That being said, I was asked by a few people to share my playlist.

So I'm sharing.

Feel free to be inspired by my musical choices or laugh at the things that I find inspiring. Either way, it's one more way for me to tell my story. I like stories and there is one behind every song I chose. They remind me of people I love. People I loved. Moments I shared. Moments I witnessed.

Every time I hear a song it brings me right back to another time and another place - and the strength of those times and places keep me moving through my days.  

Jai Ho (from Slumdog Millionaire)
You Shook Me All Night Long (AC/DC)
Rolling in the Deep (Adele)
I'm in a Hurry and Don't Know Why (Alabama)
I've Seen a Little (Alan Doyle)
Keep the Car Running (Arcade Fire)
Sk8er Boi (Avril Lavigne)
Anything but Ordinary (Avril Lavigne)
Cruise (Barlow)
When the Night Feels my Song (Bedouin Soundclash)
I Gotta Feeling (Black Eyed Peas)
Thunder Road (Bruce Springsteen)
Born to Run (Bruce Springsteen)
Marry You (Brune Mars)
Summer of 69 (Bryan Adams)
Forever (Chris Brown)
Chariots of Fire (from, you guessed it, Chariots of Fire)
Viva la Vida (Coldplay)
Fix you (Coldplay)
Rain King (Counting Crows)
Holiday Road (The Dahlmanns - from Vacation!!)
When it Come my Turn (David Myles)
Tiny Dance (Elton John)
The Rain (Garrity)
Standing Outside the Fire (Garth Brooks)
See the World (Gomez)
March On (Good Charlotte)
The Good Catches Up (Gowan)
Ordinary Day, Sea of no Cares and When I am King (all by Great Big Sea)
The Rainmaker (Hans Zimmer from Power of One)
We are Unbreakable (Hedley)
Galileo (live) (Indigo Girls)
Lord of the Dance (The Irish Symphonia)
Good Mother (Jann Arden - Live with the VSO)
The Authority Song (John Mellancamp)
Southland Concerto (Johnny Clegg from Power of One)
In the Beginning and Wavin' Flag (K'naan)
The Gambler (Kenny Rogers)
Human (The Killers)
Walking in Memphis (Marc Cohn)
Tuesday Morning and I Run For Life (Melissa Etheridge)
I Believe (Nikki Yanofsky)
What Makes you Beautiful (One Direction)
Who Knew (P!nk)
Graceland (Paul Simon)
500 Miles (Proclaimers)
The Show Must Go On (Queen)
Fidelity (Regina Spektor)
What I Like About You (The Romantics)
Waka Waka (This Time For Africa) (Shakira)
This is the Moment (Shaye)
Meet You There (Simple Plan)
Eye of the Tiger (Survivor)
Change of Seasons (Sweet Thing)
Dynamite (Taio Cruz)
It's not Unusual (Tom Jones)
Where the Streets Have no Name (U2)
This is War (30 Seconds to Mars)
Defying Gravity (from Wicked)

Thanks for listening!

2 comments:

  1. This is the second list of songs I have seen in the last couple if days. I love the variety!!! It has also reminded me of songs I love that I will have to add to my list:). Thanks for the inspiration!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting. It's a little porthole into the psyche of CĂ©line.

    I'm a little disappointed that you're missing the best workout song of all time: Public Enemy's "Welcome to the Terrordome." :-)

    ReplyDelete