Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Hurry up eh?

Some days I have time for diabetes.

I have time to cajole the high blood sugars back into range with hourly tests and reasonable boluses.

I have time to bolus ten minutes before a meal to allow the insulin a head start.

I have time to test every waking hour of the day in order to stay on top of things and try to prevent the diabetes gods from getting a foothold.

Those are the days when I'm willing to deal with the never-ending highs that won't budge. I'm not happy about them but I deal with them by the book.

Other days I don't have time for diabetes. And I have even less time for following the rules.

Don't get me wrong. I always make time for the essentials. I test before meals. I test when I feel off. I carb count. I bolus. I test two hours after eating.

The difference is that I cross my fingers that the numbers are where they should be because I'm testing at a red light, one minute before I walk into yet another two hour meeting. I'm testing in the parking lot of a high school right before I walk in to a meeting with five teachers, two behaviour therapists and a host of other people. I'm testing as I walk out the door, bolusing on the way to the car and eating my sandwich and apple as I drive to the next meeting.

The last few weeks have been like that and the next few weeks will be the same, or worse. I run from meeting to meeting, eating lunch on the fly On the surface it's all good. I'm eating healthy meals - albeit in the car. I'm testing. I'm bolusing. I'm correcting.

But the only reason it's working is because, most days, the diabetes gods behave. Sure they have their mini tantrums. But overall they listen and do what they're told with a minimum of threats.

It's times like these when I realize how much I'm looking forward to getting the Dexcom. I can't wait for a time when I can glance down at a screen and have a sense of what my blood sugar is doing...instead of wondering if now is a good time to reach under the table, root around through my purse,  and dig out my glucometer - trying not to draw attention to myself.

I do what I need to do but it will be nice when I have a little device that helps me do it on those days when things are a little too hectic.

I'm guessing it won't be long before I can't imagine a life without it.

Hurry up Dex. Canada is waiting...

No comments:

Post a Comment