Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Olympic Realities

Now that the Welland triathlon is behind me, I need to focus very intently on the Gravenhurst Olympic tri which is in less than three weeks.

When I signed up, back in January, I was right in the middle of half-marathon training and running well. I was swimming three times a week and swimming well. And I figured I could work on my cycling as it got closer. I also figured I would be running the Women's half marathon in June so I would have worked up to being able to sustain 2 1/2 hours of constant movement.

Now we're down to three weeks. I'm a strong swimmer and don't have many worries about the swim. I am much stronger on the bike and I figure that will be ok too.

I'm worried about the run.

Partly because I am not at my peak running form and 10k is 10k.

And partly because I won't have time to work in many (if any) long workouts. So doing a 3-hour event is also way out of my comfort zone.

Last summer's triathlons happened while I training for spring and fall half-marathons. So a 2+hour racing event actually felt like a break after all the 2+hour runs I had been churning out. At least I got to switch activities to give my body a break.

Now I can swim for 1 1/2 hours. I can cycle for 1 1/2 hours. I can run for 35ish minutes. But I certainly don't feel ready to do them one after another...without a day off in between. I think I can do it...but I don't think I can do it well. And I think that it's the run at the end that will suffer for it.

Which makes me kinda sad, a little scared, and makes me look back at last summer's running fitness with longing.

It is what it is and it will be what it will be. I'm spending the next few weeks doing what I can to build up and then taper down. I'm planning to participate in a 1.9k swim race on July 5th. I'll squeeze in a few longer bike/run combination workouts. I'll take very good care of my foot.

And I'll cross my fingers.

3 comments:

  1. Here's the good news: Even if your run isn't up to where you think it should be, you're going to be fine. You don't need to over-distance your long running to prepare for a 10K. In fact, you will likely get better results focusing on tempo sessions or intervals than on any "long" running.

    Here's more good news: Everyone else will be tired, too, after the swim and the bike. You don't need a perfect (or even continuous) run to capitalize on a solid swim and bike. Everyone will be in a painful place right there with you.

    Get yourself into a good mental place for the run, a place where you anticipate the difficulty and know that it's manageable and temporary. On race day, say nice things to yourself, focus on picking off the people ahead of you, remind yourself that you rocked the swim and bike and that your kicking diabetes in the ass with every stride, and those kilometers will surely pass quickly.

    And I'm crossing my fingers for you, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, what Scott said.

    :-)

    You've got enough determination to power you through anything. Seriously! Smartest diabetic athlete I know!

    ReplyDelete