Friday, April 5, 2013

Dusting off the Cobwebs

I've been home for a week and a half and I feel lazy and yet not.

I no longer walk for 8-10 hours a day in the fresh air. A leisurely yet non-stop level of activity. With vitamin D to boot.

On the other hand, I am back in the pool and back on the bike for much more intense and yet much shorter workouts. And, because it's still pretty cold in Canada, I swim in a chlorine-filled pool and cycle in my basement. The only vitamin D I'm getting is in pill form.

My body feels stiff after a few weeks away from my usual routine and is grateful for, and yet slightly intimidated by, the workouts. It also aches for the sunshine and fresh air that it enjoyed for days on end in Israel.

There is something to be said for low intensity, hours-long exercise. My body has always felt its best at times when it moved constantly (camping, hiking, cycling through Québec). It just likes to move.

I do love the crazy hard workouts in the pool and the challenging hills on the bike but they don't really make up for the 8-9 hours I spend sitting at my desk.

Transitions are hard...sometimes.

I had no problem at all transitioning to life in Israel.

I AM having a bit of trouble readjusting to life back home. Not all of it of course. I was more than ready to come home to Doug. To my family. To my curling and swimming friends.

To my desk and synthetic vitamin D?

Not so much.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seems it's always hard to acclimate back to non-vacation life. Maybe the solution is to find a way to make a living by actively walking around Israel with Doug!

    ReplyDelete