Wednesday, December 3, 2014

The Medusa

In January of this year, I set a goal to learn how to do my hair.

Do my hair as in move beyond ponytails and messy buns (thank heavens for those!) and try to learn to do lovely braids and twists and other things. Take it a notch up so to speak.

I am happy to report that I have mastered the French braid.

I am sad to report that this is all I have mastered despite having 11 months of practice.

I have watched youtube videos of ladies with lovely tresses transform themselves into Katniss-like braided sphinxes in two minutes using three bobby pins and nimble fingers.

I have watched "it's so easy anyone could do it!!" videos of first timers learning how to do updos, lovely side braids and twisty braided ponytail thingies.

All look simple.

All apparently require mere minutes and three magic bobby pins to complete and no more than one try to master.

So what the eff is my problem?

I have the bobby pins. The tiny elastics. The ability to braid.

And yes, no matter what I try, I end up looking like a tussled mess and the entire 'do begins to fall out five minutes after I finished doing it. I'm the Medusa, not the sphinx.

I admit that I do have rather silky hair which doesn't help since most braids slide right out. I have learned to embrace the every second day hair wash when possible which helps a bit to keep things together but still.

I can honestly say that learning how to golf was significantly easier than learning how to do a ponytail with a braid woven in.

Anyone want some hairstyle supplies? I have enough elastics and bobby pins to start my own hair shop. If I had the patience to start my own hair shop. Which I now realize I don't and never will.

In the meantime, I'm learning to embrace the ponytail and moving on to bigger and better things that don't drive me bat shit crazy.

2 comments:

  1. I am so tempted to comment with a smart-ass remark about MY hairstyle solutions... :-)

    ReplyDelete