Monday, December 8, 2014

A Month of Numbers

I was cleaning up my home office on the weekend and spotted my Diasend box of tricks amongst the piles of documents that I needed to file.

So, while I filed, I uploaded a month's worth of insulin pump data.

Once I finished filing, my treat was that I got to pour over the numbers, cup of tea in hand, to see how things had unfolded in the last month or so.

The number of ways that Diasend lets me look at the data is almost too much. The first few times I did looked at it, I looked at everything and got too bogged down in the details to notice the important stuff.

Now that I'm a little more experienced, I look at the things that are important.

Like this:

A month's worth of Continuos Glucose Monitor (CGM) readings. The green section is my target range (between 4.0 and 10.0). The red dots are my average reading for every hour of the day. The black lines extending up and down from those dots show the highest and lowest reading I had during each hour. 


And this:

This pie graph is my favourite thing to look at. It tells me at a glance what percent of CGM readings were below 4.0, above 10.0 and what percent were within target range (4.0-10.0). According to this I was below 4.0 only 3% of the time and above 10.0 only 16% of the time. The rest fell into the lovely green section. 

The last thing I look at is a tiny little number on the last page that read: average blood glucose reading. 

For the last four weeks, my average blood glucose reading was: 7.5 

So what did I do after checking out all the stats? 

After doing a happy dance I mean. 

I increased my basal rate between 11:00 and 17:00 to try to get those higher afternoon numbers down a bit. I also made a minor increase in my insulin to carb ratio at lunch time to see if that will help too. 

Other than that, I'm not touching anything. No point messing with a good thing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment