Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Raw Food

My parents have a dog named Kodiak. She's a beautiful dog with a ridiculously docile personality. The kind of dog that even cat lovers can't help but say hello to. 

A few years ago, Kody wasn't doing that well. She was lethargic. She had skin problems. Her coat didn't look very healthy. My sister, who had worked at a veterinary clinic years earlier, suggested that my parents put her on a raw food diet. 

By her I mean the dog, not my sister. 

So my parents decided to give it a try. 

At first, it was kinda crazy. It took them a while to figure out what to feed her, how much to feed her, where to buy the stuff etc etc. And poor Kody didn't know what to make of the whole thing. She went from getting cans of dog food plopped on top of dry dog food to being handed a chicken back and some kidneys for dinner. Apparently the first time they handed her a chicken back, she ran around the back yard with it in her mouth yelping. Then she dropped it and ran away. Repeated the process a few times and finally ate it. 

After that rather awkward start, they developed a system together and now Kodiak looks fabulous, has regained her energy and loves her new diet. And my parents have a freezer full of single serving dog meals. 

Kodiak now eats better than the humans do. 

I've gone to my parents' house on several occasions to find my mother roasting sweet potatoes in the toaster oven. "Don't eat those! They're for the dog." The bag of spinach on the counter? "For the dog." The freezer full of meat? You guessed it. 

For the dog.

I have house sat for my parents a few times and have had to feed poor Kody her dinner. The instruction list is, as follows: 
  • take one container of raw animal products out of the freezer first thing in the morning and leave it out to thaw 
  • at dinner time, open container
  • add some spinach. Kody likes it broken up and mixed into the food. Don't just dump it on top. 
  • add another vegetable (roasted sweet potatoes, squash, pumpkin whatever). Mix it in - she likes it better that way
  • serve with a glass of chilled white wine. She prefers Riesling. 

Last night, I came home from my run and popped two sweet potatoes in the toaster oven. I steamed some broccoli and cooked up some quinoa. I was making one of my favourite creations - a big bowl full of yummy stuff with a bit of olive oil and tamari drizzled on top. As I piled everything in, tossed an avocado and some goat cheese on for good measure and drizzled on my toppings...this twisted little voice in my head said "I bet this would be perfect with some chicken feet."

1 comment: