Wednesday, May 16, 2012

D-Blog Week Day 3: One Thing to Improve

One thing to improve about my diabetes management?

One thing I should improve or one thing I want to improve?

Because those are two VERY different things.

I'd hazard a guess that every single person with diabetes can get better at something. No one out there is perfect because perfection in diabetes management is nigh on impossible. Don't even think about trying to attain it - you'll drive yourself straight to crazy town.

What I should improve?

  • have less lows
  • have less highs
  • write down everything I eat
  • weight everything I eat
  • calculate every carb I eat - right down to the very last one
  • check my blood sugar and bolus (as needed) every single time I eat something
  • track and analyze all of my blood sugar readings to look for trends
  • test my basal rates 
  • eat more fibre (I just threw that in there because everywhere you look it says to eat more fibre)
  • change my lancet after every test (not every time the clocks change)
  • change my infusion site every three days (not every six)

What I want to improve?
  • nothing

Honestly folks. I give diabetes a lot of my time, my energy and my money. I take really good care of it but I don't obsess. I am careful without being neurotic. I never let diabetes stop me from doing things - I just always make sure I have a contingency plan. I assume 100% responsibility for myself at all times - and I don't do stupid stuff that puts me at risk. My doctors are happy and my numbers are good. 

I'm think I'm doing just fine. 

4 comments:

  1. wow how refreshing it was to read this! Good on you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great. you do not need to fix something that is not broken :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you! It's a beautiful day, and I feel fine. Diabetes doesn't need to control every second of every day.

    ReplyDelete