Friday, October 21, 2011

Getting My Ice Legs

Curling starts next Friday.

Last January Doug convinced Janice, Chris and I that we should join the Friday night curling league.  Doug has curled for years and knows what he's doing.  We had no idea what to expect.

Not a clue.

So we signed up, had a practice and then started playing on Fridays.  We loved it.

This season, we're playing from October until April and we have recruited four more players so now we have two teams of runners curling.

Curling runners?

Whatever we are, it's fun.

Last night we went to the curling club for a quick practice - to get our ice legs back.  It's amazing how slippery the ice felt after five months off.

It's also amazing how much my quads hurt after a few minutes of sliding around.

When we started sweeping - I was overheated and shaking from exertion within minutes.

Curling is hard work folks and apparently it's going to take a few times before my body gets used to it again.

The funny thing was that I am usually struggling to get my rocks across the ice.  This time, I was struggling not to hit the other side.

Somehow my arms and legs got stronger since last spring.

Could that be from all the running?

Cycling??

Swimming?

Whatever it is, I'm going to have to learn to control it a bit or Doug's going to stop giving me the finesse shots and start giving me all the takeouts.



Good Curling folks!

No comments:

Post a Comment