Thursday, October 6, 2011

C'est Fini

It's over folks.

My running shoes have been put away and I am officially on the disabled list.

My run on Tuesday was proof positive that I am not in any condition to run 10k let alone a marathon.  I could push and try to survive race day but the damage I would do is just not worth it.

Apparently that decision makes me a very wise woman.

Hopefully I will feel wise once I've had a few days to get used to the idea.  Right now I just feel empty and really sad.

What's the plan you ask?

Six to eight weeks of no running, an appointment with my MD, hopefully an MRI or ultrasound to see if I've torn something and lots of r.i.c.e.

Rest

Ice

Compression

Elevation

Good news:

I can cycle.  In fact last night I headed out on the country roads all my myself for a 30k ride up and down the escarpment.  It felt really good to push my body after two weeks of not pushing anything...other than my luck.

I will also be researching the hours at the local pool and we'll see how well I do swimming lengths and pool running.  Never having tried either, it should be quite the learning curve.  And I have no idea how the hell I'm supposed to get all my hair in a swimming cap?!?


Wonder if it comes in purple??

As for race day - I am glad that the decision has been made.  It's been an emotional two weeks and at least now I can focus on doing things that are going to help me heal rather than focusing on what I need to do to survive marathon day.

I am so proud of all my friends who will be running.  I wish I was there running with you.

I want to say that I will be out on the course with my bike and my camera.  I hope to be.  I want to be.  We'll see as it gets closer as to whether I feel like I can do it with a smile on my face rather than tears in my eyes.

I'll try - I promise

To be honest, I cannot wait for October 23rd to be over.  Even though I will not be running that day it is still looming large and I want it behind me.  

I want to look to the future but it's hard when the immediate future holds a day that I've been working towards for four months.  Get over that day and the slate is clean again.

Then I can start checking out 2012 marathons and deciding which one will be the one I choose as my first.

3 comments:

  1. :( So sorry to hear that you won't be running, but at least you know that you are capable of training for a marathon. Next goal- train for a marathon without injuries.

    Beautiful swim cap! :) I put my hair in a bun before putting on the swim cap. You might also want to look into getting swimming ear plugs. I finally learned how to swim last year after I was injured from training for/running a marathon.

    Can't wait to hear about your swim adventures! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was so saddened to read this. I think you made the smart choice, and can only imagine how hard it must have been. We'll be thinking of you on race day with every stride we take. Would love to see you out there on Oct 23, but would totally understand if you weren't. Let us know when you're planning your marathon debut, and we'll be there with (cow) bells on, cheering our hearts out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really sad that it hasn't worked out for you; pretty much the same thing happened to me for my first try, had to call it a day with 3 weeks to go. In a weird way it was almost a relief, but a bit of a crushing one after all the training. I took it much slower this time around and hopefully will complete my first one in 3 weeks, so dont be too disheartened - it will happen for you.

    ReplyDelete