Monday, April 20, 2015

The Cost of Fitness

I just placed an order for contact lenses since I'm down to four left. Technically I'm down to eight since it's one per eye but really, I have four contact lens days left.

This time last year I bought a box of 90 dailies and they lasted me pretty much 12 months.

I only wear contacts on days when I want to wear sunglasses so I really only use them for long runs in the sun, summer bike rides, long drives on sunny days or on golf days.

Other than that, I'm a glasses girl.

So 90 daily lenses lasted 365 days, give or take a handful.

Some fitness things last for what feels like forever. Others, not so much.

I bought my bicycle six years ago and the cycling shoes and cycling shorts I purchased that same day are still the shoes and shorts I wear. They're doing just fine so why replace them?

My cycling jerseys are also several years old. They don't have to put up with much friction however since it's my legs doing the work so they still look quite good.

My Garmin watch is so old I can't remember when I got it. At least three years ago. Probably closer to 4 but if you told me it was 5, I'd believe you. It's starting to show its age but, other than those days when it refuses to turn on, it's doing what I need it to do so I'm happy.

My running belt seems ageless but that could be because I only wear it maybe 15 times a year.

My running clothes, on the other hand, have a much shorter lifespan. One season for clothes I wear regularly, two for ones I don't. That's about how long it takes for them to a) start to develop holes in places you don't want holes or b) start to develop that deep down runner smell that no longer comes out in the wash. It's gross I know but, if you are a runner, you know what I'm talking about. If you aren't a runner, just pretend you didn't read that last paragraph and move along.

Running shoes? Well they last 4 months max. That's about how long it takes me to run 500k and, being an injury-prone runner, I don't push my luck much beyond that.

Golf clothes? I'm not sure yet. I'm just entering season two so we'll see. My golf shoes held up well through hundreds of kilometres of walking last summer and I'm hoping they last a second season. I doubt they'll see a third.

I've had the same swim goggles now for two years and they are still doing a wonderful job. Bathing suits however don't survive more than a few months in the chlorine.

All of this can get to be a little much. Even though I can get months, or years, out of my sports paraphernalia, I use so many different things that I feel like I'm always needing to replace something.

Last month it was running pants and shorts.

This week it's contact lenses.

My running shoes are next on the list since I have less than 150km left on them and am in the highest mileage part of my half-marathon training.

The price we pay for fitness eh?

I'm happy to pay it though because the price of non-fitness is much much higher.

1 comment:

  1. I wouldn't worry about those costs. Just wait until you have children. Good jogging strollers can cost more than a used car! And that is not exactly an exaggeration. Bicycle trailers don't come cheap either. My wife was thrilled to find a used one for $100! But it's all worth it to have a happy family that enjoys themselves.

    Leonard Ellis @ Teed Off

    ReplyDelete