Monday, March 24, 2014

Just Add "Yet"

I often see motivational messages that say things like "there is no such thing as "I can't"."

It's a good message and probably helps encourage people to do things they don't think they can do.

I don't particularly agree with the message though. There are all sorts of things that I could say "I can't" to and be perfectly right in saying them.

I think the more empowering way to think about it is to say "I can't...yet."

"I can't" sounds so negative. Even when it's perfectly true.

Add the word 'yet" to the end of the sentence and suddenly a whole world of possibilities opens up.

"I can't run a half marathon in under 2:20" sounds self-defeating.

"I can't run a half marathon in under 2:20...yet" inspires me to go figure out what I would need to do to make it happen.

I can't do a half-ironman.

I can't cycle any faster than 30km/hour.

I can't run 10k in under an hour.

I can't swim 100m in under 1:35.

Add the word "yet" to any of the above and suddenly I have a list of goals to work on.

I think "yet" is my new favourite word.

1 comment:

  1. I love this! That's a great way to turn things around. I'll go! (These are real for me).

    I can't run a 10k under an hour yet.
    I can't run a half-marathon under 2:30 yet.
    I can't get over my fear of open water swimming yet.

    ReplyDelete