Thursday, March 12, 2015

Le Curling

As the temperatures continue to rise and the mountains of snow continue to melt, the last thing I'm thinking about is next winter's curling season.

I'm thinking about running outside without having to spend 10 minutes pulling on layer after layer of clothing.

I'm thinking about how long we have to wait until the golf course opens and how soon we can cycle outside again.

I'm thinking about spring half marathons and summer triathlons.

So I was a little taken aback when I received an email from one of my curling friends asking me if I would be interested in playing on their Tuesday night curling team next season.

I was a little more taken aback when I read that they wanted me to play vice (3rd).

Tempting...and flattering. A good combination for a recruiting committee.

I liked the idea but didn't like the fact that a) it would mean no Tuesday night CoreFit and b) I'd be up until almost midnight on the weeks when we played the late draw. (For those of you who know me, you know how utterly crazy that is). 

A few emails went back and forth and, in the end, I decided to accept the offer.

What sealed the deal you ask?

What could possibly convince me to skip a season of CoreFit and stay up late on a school night?

How about the fact that three our of four of us are French-Canadian?

Spend Tuesday evenings in the company of some very entertaining French-speaking curlers? Oh, and every so often play against Doug's Tuesday night team just for kicks?

Sold!

So even as I look forward to running in shorts, golfing with the sun on my shoulders and open-water swimming, a little part of me is already looking forward to the end of the warmer months and the start of a new curling season.


For those of you who have no idea what I'm talking about when I go on and on about curling, here is a two-minute video that captures the game...and makes me laugh.


And for those of you who speak French or simply like the sound of this lovely language, here is the same video en français for your listening pleasure. 

No comments:

Post a Comment