Monday, October 1, 2012

Lalalalalalala

Friday evening. It's Day One of the Ryder Cup which, as I've recently learned, it a really big deal.

Doug prepared a pork-chop dinner and popped it in the over. "We have an hour" he said. "Do you want something to tide you over?"

"Let me check my sugar. If it's ok, I'm fine. If it's on the low side, I'll have a snack."

I checked.

The glucometer said 2.8.

????

I felt 100% fine. Even when I saw that number looking at me, I still felt fine. No low symptoms kicked in - which sometimes happens when I check and discover that I'm lower than I think I am.

I don't get it.

I don't believe it.

I checked again.

The glucometer said 4.2.

That's better.

But scary.

I rarely second guess my glucometer readings. If it says 5.0, 10.0 or 15.0, I bolus or treat accordingly.

Two checks, ten seconds apart, went from 2.8 to 4.2.

I treat a 4.2 very differently than I treat a 2.8.

I treated for a 4.2 feeling a little less confident in the medical technology that is there to keep me healthy and, even though I hate to think about it this way, keep me alive.

What if my glucometer is off on a regular basis? Would that account for some of the unexplained highs and lows I see? Or worse, what if my pump was a little off and gave me a little too much insulin? Or a lot too much?

I poured a glass of wine and sat down to watch the Ryder Cup - resolving NOT to think about THAT.

1 comment:

  1. thank for given me information about Glucometer. this article is very appreciable. Healthgenie also providing Glucometers and blood sugar testing devices.

    ReplyDelete