Thursday, April 26, 2012

Evolution

I ran out of test strips the other day which is very out of character for me. Usually I keep a spare canister (of 25) in my purse and never need to use it. The odd time I dip into the spare canister but always pick up extra strips before it gets close to empty.

This time though, I was running kinda low on Saturday but it was cold and rainy out so I dipped into my purse stash rather than venture out into the elements. On Sunday, the pharmacy was closed. By Monday, I was down to a few strips but it was cold and rainy again so I didn't leave the house. My fault, I fully admit but it was REALLY cold and rainy...

...AND windy too.

Anyway, I ran out of test strips.

Luckily, I had my old glucometer in my diabetes cupboard so I pulled it out. There were 15 strips left - perfect.

Now, I have gone through several glucometers in my diabetic life. Every few years I get a new one and I never ever use the old ones again. I don't get attached to these things - I just toss them into the diabetes cupboard and move on.

I got my current glucometer around this time last year. It was love at first sight:

Sleek. Purple. What's not to love? 

When I pulled out my old glucometer (which, by the way, felt perfectly modern last year), I was a little disappointed. 

Oh well, it's only for one day. I popped in the test strip and used the old lancet to prick my finger. 

KA-CHUNK!

Bloody Hell! That HURTS!! 

It was like a mini cannon going off and I swear it went right through my finger down to the bone. 

A huge drop of blood formed courtesy of the lancet from hell. Enough blood to fill three of my current test strips. I held the test strip up to my finger and it sloooooooowly sucked up allllllllllll the blood. Every last bit. Like a vampire. 

Then it beeped!

I had forgotten about the beeping. 

It counted down five seconds and beeped again. 

That's annoying. 

So for the rest of the evening, through the night and the next day - huge drops of blood were sucked up by an old-fashioned beeping glucometer. At least I had enough sense to stop using the lancet from hell and go back to my Delica. 

And I thought the rate at which Apple updates their products was fast. What a difference a year makes in diabetes land. Almost pain-free lancets, minimal blood required, quiet and fast. It's enough to make me never run out of strips again. 

I mean really - as cool as this was in its day


It just can't compete with this.





1 comment:

  1. Thanks for given information about Glucometer. Your blog is very appreciable and useful. A Glucometer is a device to check our body blood sugar level. Glucometer is key element of home blood glucose monitoring by people with diabetes mellitus.Healthgenie offers accu chek, accu check, blood glucose monitor, blood sugar level, body glucose monitor

    ReplyDelete