Friday, April 20, 2012

Everything But Diabetes

Ever get sick of reading about diabetes?

I get sick of writing about it sometimes.

I get even more sick of having it.

Nothing I can do about having it but I can sure do something about writing about it.

So today, in celebration of Fridays and weekends and long runs and leisurely morning coffees, I'm going to write about fun things. Non-diabetes things.  Basically, I'm going to ramble for a bit if you care to join me...

I got a delivery from Amazon on Wednesday night. Inside the box were two identical copies of this book:


Have you heard of The Bloggess? Have you read her often hysterical, sometimes heart wrenching blog? My favourite story and one of her most famous is the one about the metal chicken. It's Friday, go on, give it a read. You'll laugh.

The Bloggess announced months ago that her first book was coming out. I immediately ordered two copies; one for me and one for my youngest sis. We're going to read it at the same time and text incessantly about the hilarity of it all. She and I still can't talk about Bridget Jones' Diary or Bossypant without succumbing to hysterical laughter - I'm guessing this won't be any different.

I'm getting my hair cut tonight. And coloured. I started colouring my hair last November and I discovered it's a very fun two hours. They give me lattes, we share stories and compare life adventures and I leave feeling like a glamour girl. The fact that I will wake up the next morning and take my perfectly straightened hair, tie it back in a ponytail, yank on a hat and sweat for two hours doesn't take away from the experience one bit - although I'm sure they might cringe and perhaps take a bit less time with the straightening if they knew...

I bought a new sports bra the other night. (Is it a sports bra if I only use it for running or is it a running bra?) Either way, I went in to Runners' Edge and complained that, during the last few runs, my current bra left some pretty horrible chafing. The ever-helpful Christina immediately replied "well, that's because you lost weight and it's too loose". Makes sense.

Then she asked how long I had it. "Um, three or four years?"  "Honey, these things have a lifespan you know. Based on your current mileage - you might get eight months out of a bra."

Oh good lord! I have to replace my running shoes every three or four months. Not my sports bras too?

Apparently bouncing has a positive effect on some things and negatively affects the life span of others...

So I have a new sports bra - and it's pretty comfy. And I'm really excited at the thought that I might not chafe on Saturday when I head out for my 18k run.

I also got a new running belt.  Mine is years old and it's a little too big now. So I got a new one with a big enough pouch to carry all the stuff I need to deal with emergency (for reasons we're not talking about today) situations. I like pink but opted for the blue one because, well, I don't always like pink. But I always like blue.

I ordered a new camera bag the other day. We're flying out to Cape Breton at the end of May for the Cabot Trail Relay Race and I needed a carry on that could carry my camera, my (we're not talking about it today) stuff and my snacks, reading materials and lip gloss. I wanted something that could work as a camera bag but ideally also work as a big purse-type bag for trips. I had no idea what to get so I asked Doug. He immediately opened a bookmarked website and...it was perfect. (Is there anything this man doesn't know?)

This should arrive in the mail in a few weeks:


It's orange with a purple interior. It's like a huge purse that can handle lots of professional camera equipment and still has tons of space. Her name is Libby. Kelly Moore makes her and all sorts of other fabulous camera bags if you're interested. 

I can't wait to meet her. 

Other than that, I've been drinking my water, eating well, feeling strong while swimming and running, making time for family and friends and getting my sleep. I can consistently swim 20m underwater now - five more and I can officially swim across the pool underwater!

Thanks for checking in. Have a great weekend and I'll see you all on the other side!

7 comments:

  1. If I didn't have a billion books to read already, I would be all over Jenny's book. She might be the funniest person out there on the internet.

    Have a great run in your new gear this weekend!! I haven't been running much since ATB, and I've been missing it. (I've been cycling instead.) I ran about 10K on Wednesday, which felt great, but I find myself thinking a lot about the 20K outings and always with some serious longing.

    I might have to take up marathon training at some point just so that I can justify those 2-3 hour long runs. :^)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the link to the bags - they look nice!
    Have a great (no chafe) run this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the post. Hadn't had a chance to read that particular blog, so I'll stop on over there to get a read. Yes, it can be tiring living with, writing about, and thinking about diabetes. We all need a break, blogging and otherwise! Glad you've got some good fun non-D aspects to write about!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved this post and I need that book!! Sara sent around the Metal Chicken post way back and I have been reading her blog ever since.

    Have a great weekend and a great run!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shopping spree! I love the bag.

    I finally went and got my hair cut and colored last week- it had only been 10 months since the last time I went it (oops...). Then, my roommates convinced me to go and get mani/pedis with them (first time ever). I felt so glamorous.

    ReplyDelete