Wednesday, January 18, 2012

It's That Time

It's week four of four.  This is the week where I get to enjoy any or all of the following:
  • extreme fatigue
  • breasts that feel like bowling balls
  • weight that goes up by three pounds
  • blood sugar that climbs climbs climbs and then crashes.  
  • debilitating cramps
  • sleepless nights
  • nausea
  • ravenous hunger
  • absolutely nothing out of the ordinary
Some months are fairly benign.  I sleep poorly for one night, I'm a little extra hungry one day but life goes on.  Other months I leave work early because I feel so awful and I crawl into bed with my magic bag and fuzzy socks.  Sometimes my blood sugar takes me for a roller coaster ride and other times it's steady as a rock.

The symptoms are always the same when I get them but it's always a surprise which ones will show up for the party.

I remember one of my appointments at the Diabetes Centre.  They asked me if I had a temporary basal rate I used the week before my period. Ummm...no?

Pre-period blood sugar craziness is pretty nasty when it happens but the randomness of when it happens is just as nasty.  If I set a temporary basal rate every month for the three days before my period I would be in pretty good shape some months and I would be clearing all the juice boxes out of the Superstore the next month as I fought continuous lows.  It's just not worth the risk so I fight the highs when they come and, in exchange, I don't have crazy lows.

Diabetes is predictably unpredictable.

It's also, for the record, annoyingly annoying.

Did I mention it was ridiculously ridiculous?

Funny how one actually adjusts to unpredictability and it becomes, well, almost predictable.

After nine years, I have figured out that my blood sugar will do one of about three things before my period. It will do one of two things during a curling game.  One thing and one thing only during my swim and one of about eight things during a long run depending on the weather, the wind, the time of day and the angle of the sun.

Random predictability.

Also known as crazy-ass crazyassness.

Best photographic representation of diabetes I could find.  
Calm and sedate one moment, completely crazy the next. 

3 comments:

  1. Now this is something no man with diabetes could EVER understand. Girl.. I hear you loud and clear. No temp pattern here either because it would cause more trouble than good.
    I worry, you know. I think about 1 week a month I am guaranteed to have messed up BGs. that's 25% of the time. Not good enough!
    May fuzzy socks and magic bags be with you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well put! And ditto, ditto, ditto from me. I was at a workshop a couple of years ago where the (male) endo presenting confessed that when it comes to women's hormones and diabetes, the medical establishment "just doesn't go there." Groovy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, how I can relate to this post. I'm impressed with your ability to figure out how the angle of the sun affects your BG while running. :)

    New favorite phrase: "crazy-ass crazyassness". :)

    ReplyDelete