Wednesday, September 11, 2013

The Things I Don't Say

I don't know about other bloggers out there but I have a list of topics that I'm quite willing to blog about and a list of topics that I'm not.

I have a list of people that I'm ok with naming and a list of people that I'm not.

I will happily write about what Doug and I did on the weekend if it has to do with athletic pursuits of any kind but I'm very protective about our personal life. I occasionally mention my family but never by name. I occasionally allude to the work that I do but never in any detail.

Privacy is important and I protect my own and that of others.

I also steer clear of political chat or religious discussions. Not because I don't have any opinions, just because that's not what Running on Carbs is all about. Unless of course by 'running' I mean for political office in which case my blog, for the most part, is way off topic.

Sometimes though, I wonder, whether I should voice some of my thoughts.

My thoughts about the upcoming winter olympics in Russia - where the country has made it very clear that mere hint of sexual orientation could get people tossed in jail.

Or the fact that Québec, the lovely french province in my own beloved country, has revealed a plan to prevent civil servants from wearing religious symbols at work. In a country where freedom of religious is a fundamental, universal value in our constitution. I'm embarrassed to admit that this is an actual discussion in my own country and horrified to think that it might actually pass.

My exasperation at people who promote untested truths to the detriment of others. Don't get me started on those who use scare tactics against getting flu shots or the never ending argument about whether or not vaccinations cause autism.

How about my frustration at the woman in our neighbourhood who came by to ask me to sign a petition to keep a three-storey apartment from being built down the street? She said that she was worried because 'they might be building low-income housing'. For the record I responded by saying that I hope that was exactly what 'they' were going to build because there isn't enough affordable housing available. And no, I did not sign the petition.

I find it interesting when I think that what I blog about is such a small part of who I am and what my life is all about.  And yet, even limited to diabetes, sports and the odd post about cooking with quinoa or nail polish colours, I can easily find things to write about every day.

Every blog has an audience and that audience keeps coming back because they want to read what gets posted. I'm going to go out on a limb and assume that no one is checking in here to read about my political, social justice or religious views.

I guess I was just feeling a little worried that I was somehow getting put in a Running on Carbs box and I felt the need to say, for the record, that I do think about other things. That I do have some pretty strong opinions on things that I will happily voice in the right situations. That I am passionate about topics other than triathlons and basal rates. That I do read books. That I love cryptograms, sudoku puzzles and memory games.

There, I said it!

Regularly scheduled programming will resume tomorrow at the regular time.

1 comment:

  1. That's totally respectable.
    There's a shit ton I won't blog about too. And for the record, I don't come here to read that kind of stuff.

    ReplyDelete