Friday, July 13, 2012

(Over)commitment

On Wednesday night I was sitting (well more like lounging) on the couch with my laptop.

I did three things in the space of about 15 minutes.

  • I responded to an email about some possible research being done re rights and adults who have a developmental disability
  • I sent a final shot list and confirmation details to the bride and groom whose wedding Doug and I are photographing this Saturday
  • I made the final corrections to Thursday's blog entry for Running on Carbs

Rights, disabilities, diabetes, and photography.

Just a few of the things I love to talk about, write about and include in my everyday life.

Other things I did this week? Swam three times (with my new Masters coach!), hit the road on my bike to practice my rpms, watched the sun rise on my early morning runs, watched the sun set as Doug and I went for an impromptu flight over Niagara, hosted a baby shower, volunteered for Hospice Niagara, went to the theatre and had a massage.

My days and weeks are busy and packed with activities.

Activities that I choose. Activities that make me happy, that make me think and that keep me healthy.

At dinner the other night, Doug and I were talking about what it takes to get to the Olympics. Not that we really know because neither of us have been to the Olympics (despite my best attempt at swimming 200m in under 1 minute - I can't get my time under 3:48). But we can sort of guess how much time and commitment it might take to get to the level that it takes to even qualify for a spot.

And I got a little bothered.

If someone told me that they worked long days, seven days a week. That they gave up almost everything else in their life, that they left their family and friends and that they committed their life to work, I would have a few choice words to say to them. I am a firm believer in and advocate for finding a balance between work and life. Work to live, don't live to work.

And yet, elite athletes essentially do the same thing except instead of attending meetings, making business deals, and writing reports, they commit themselves to their sport...and we idolize them for it. They are heroes. They are so high up on the pedestal that they are unreachable. We watch in awe as they do things at speeds we can't attain or sustain for even a few seconds and with a strength that we will never have.

Please don't misunderstand - I am not criticizing the choices that our elite athletes make. I'm just commenting on how differently the two forms of incredible commitment and dedication are perceived. Tell me someone does nothing but work and I get annoyed. Tell me someone trains seven days a week and I think "wow, I wonder if I could do that".

I will NOT be part of the 2012 summer Olympics despite my very respectable super sprint triathlon time.

I have not yet received my invitation to join Canada's swim team despite the fact that I swim faster than ALL the seniors in the pool.

But that's probably for the best because, in the space of fifteen minutes I can advocate for diabetes, finalize wedding photography details and discuss rights research. I thrive on variety and can't imagine spending most of my time doing one thing.

So I'll watch the Olympics every second I can, I'll cheer on les Canadiens, the underdogs and the heroes. I'll dream of being able to (insert sport here) as fast or as well as they can, even for one day and then I'll go back to my very fun, very active, very fulfilling life.

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree 100% with what you are saying.

    Oh! and I heard, please do not tell anyone else but your invite to join the senior swim team...

    it's in the mail shhhhhhhhhhhhhhh... :-0

    ReplyDelete